Friday, November 6, 2009

Week 11, Day 4: Good, bad, and Ashes!

Today: Force Vocabulary quiz, Book Reading Passage, Finish Friction lab...finally(see photo at right).

This is a good year. I've had about 4 GREAT YEARS* and about 5 BAD years. Most have been good years. One of the bad years I had some great kids, one of which gave me an end of the year gift shown below. I love that bowl. Sometimes I keep pistachio nuts in it, often it is used to hold the words for SCIENCE BINGO.




*My year teaching High School was a great year despite how miserable is was missing middle school kids and curriculum.



Reflection:
A friend of mine and former colleague, David Piercy, (perhaps I should call him a distant colleague) is helping me get into FORMATIVE ASSESSMENTS. He says it will change my teaching style. I need to get better feedback from my students. Getting it from lab write-ups is just to minimal. I need to get in the habit of giving the kids an assessment every day, even if just a simple "WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT __________". I've got about another 10 years of teaching in me. I don't want to become a dinosaur in my class. I'm getting slower and I hope I can keep my head above the silt and not get mineralized.

Hope this helps,

Love to Teach and Teach with Passion

Remember...It's not Magic, It's Science

http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney
richardkinney

No comments:

Post a Comment