Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Week 14, Day 1: Belated appreciation and surround yourself well.

ODD BLOCK: Spent the day in the library with students working on the Intro. to Astronomy Website search.

Today's Best Practice: Surround yourself with motivated colleagues that love what they do, stay away from the other type.

I love Astronomy. I wish class was held at night so we could go out and look at Jupiter in the western sky after sunset, Orion's Nebula anytime, and the fuzzy glow of the Andromeda Galaxy. Since class is not held at night the website above is a nice alternative.

A former student found my Facebook page and posted this: "...you were my favorite science teacher out of m entire public education and you're probably the only teacher who actually was interested in what he taught. Just though I'd let you know." So often our 8th graders are lost in the world of surviving middle school and don't always say thanks.

My first thought was how nice this is and thank-you.

My second thought was anger. WHY ARE SOME TEACHERS NOT TOTALLY IN TO WHAT THEY TEACH. For more on this go back to my very first post back in August.

My 3rd thought was that he must not have had Mr. Piercy in 7th grade life science nor Mr Lake in High School Physics. These two colleagues are 2 of my best friends and outstanding teachers.

Surround yourself with greatness. Hand out with excellent teachers. Don't spend your time around anyone that pulls our profession down (see my first Post in August).

As I look at my colleague friends they are ALL EXCELLENT teachers that Love what they do.(look at the my Einstein picture on the side bar)

Hope this helps,

Love to Teach and Teach with Passion

Remember...It's not Magic, It's Science

http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney

richardkinney@cusd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment