Thursday, September 10, 2009

Week 3 Day 3 Collecting Papers and Problem Solving

Today's Best Practice...Hand Collect Papers to ensure 100% turn in rate.
Method 1: Stand at the door and hand it to me as you leave.
Method 2: Dismiss class by rows, stand at end of the row and collect papers as students walk past you to get out.
Method 3: Have papers stacked at end of the row or at the center aisle and verify there is a paper for each student.

In a previous blog I talked about THE TICKET OUT THE DOOR. This was my solution to a problem. A big big problem is that often we do not know we have a problem. Once we know there's a problem we can find a way to solve it.

I had a problem with students not turning in work. I'd say stack it at the end of your row, or put it in the in box or have a lab partner bring up your papers. On average my guess is that I'd have about 57% turn in. By the time I realized that papers were not turned in the students were gone or it was days later.

As a parent I would get frustrated to see my son's grade low in a class for missing work, only to find the assignment completed but not turned in. Often I hear from the teacher, "I TRYING TO TEACH THEM TO BE RESPONSIBLE AND TO BE GROWN UP ENOUGH TO TURN THEIR PAPER INTO THE IN BOX". Well they are not all responsible, and even if they are often they don't hear the instruction, or they are just NOT grown up enough to get up and put their paper in the in-box.
My colleagues may say I am not teaching them to be responsible. I say, "I DON'T WANT THE FRUSTRATION OF LOW TURN IN RATES, AND THE INCREASED STRESS OF HAVING TO CHASE DOWN THE ASSIGNMENTS AND WORRY ABOUT HIGH NUMBERS OF LOW SCORES. MY METHOD SOLVES A PROBLEM...SO SUE ME!"

Method 1: Stand at the door and hand it to me as you leave.
This works okay, but it is chaotic and papers are collected in no particular order which can make handing them back later more time consuming. Careful, if you have a 2nd door in your room some kids will try to sneak out. I rarely collect papers like this.
Method 2: Dismiss class by rows, stand at end of the row and collect papers as students walk past you to get out.
This is the best way to do it. You get the papers in order by row which makes handing back very easy and quick. You can also inspect the row to see if it is clean or if anybody left anything behind. If a paper is not complete you have the option to say GO BACK AND FINISH IT.
Method 3: Have papers stacked at end of the row or at the center aisle and verify there is a paper for each student.
I use this a a lot on days with multiple assignments to turn in, or if I have a TICKET OUT THE DOOR for later to collect. My room is split down the middle from front to back with an aisle. I have kids pass papers to the CENTER AISLE. The "Center Aisle Person" is asked to get the assignments all facing the same direction and make sure names are on all. I then walk down the center aisle and take a stack from each row and count to make sure all are there and that they are complete.

I have a very high turn in rate now, in the 90% range. Problem solved. So there...take that!

I hope this helps,

Love to Teach and Teach with Passion

Remember...It's not Magic, It's Science

http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney
richardkinney@cusd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment