Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week 20, Day 2: Labs are easy!

Labs are fun.
A classroom full of kids measuring and massing and calculating is so nice.
Density and Buoyancy may be considered by some to be about the worst unit. It's my favorite. I made it a goal 9 years ago to make it a fun unit. Lab work is basically fun in my opinion. Students are working together doing hands on tasks and that is FUN.
The Density Lab is okay. Measure mass and calculate volume by displacement and L x W x H, then calculate density.

We will do the Buoyancy Boat lab soon.

This year due to being so far behind I will skip the tissue paper hot air balloons, candy density lab (Snickers vs. Three Musketeers), Helium balloon lab, Aluminum boat lab (which will hold more coins) and the Buoyancy Ball Lab to measure weight in water.
My lessons for this unit are both strategically and tactically planned and we are doing labs. I’m so totally lovin’it right now!
Please go to my school website and go to CSTA TEACHERS and visit my website for all of my labs, notes and activities.
I hope this helps.
Love to Teach, and Teach with Passion!
It’s not Magic, It’s Science!
RichardKinney@cusd.com
http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney

No comments:

Post a Comment