Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 22, Day 2: Nerds, Dorks,Honors Students, and Role Models.

EVEN BLOCK SCHEDULE: Buoyancy Boat Lab. Honors Science Field trip to the California State University, Fresno Downing Planetarium.

I took my honors science class to see a show at the Planetarium. I love these kids. Honors Kids are different. I like the NERD in them and I mean that with love and respect. I am a Nerd too. I don’t totally relate to them, I was never a type A over achiever in school (at least not until I was in Navy A school and wanted to get home as fast as possible in their self pace program). In middle school I was so totally clueless. I was a nice kid in class, loved movies and how things work, but I was clueless about strange things like homework, studying, finishing an assignment…turning in one.

Anyway, I loved hanging out with students in the bus and at the show. A former student of mine, form my Honors Science class 5 years ago, one of the winners of the Smittcamp Scholarship, to came and talk to my students. She did a great job and it was so cool to see her and to see what a great role model she is. Thank you Lainie.(Photo:she is on the top row 4th from the right)

I don’t just love my Honors Kids. My dorky or distracted students I totally get. I am was one. This is the reason I want to teach regular classes. My honors students will do fine with almost anyone as their teacher. I want to make sure that regular students have a great teacher. If they are really like me they may be a late bloomer too, and one day they decide to be Nerdy Science teacher too.

We had Monday off. No more field trips on a short week.

I hope this helps,

Love to Teach and Teach with Passion!
It's not Magic, It's Science
RichardKinney@cusd.com
http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney

No comments:

Post a Comment