Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week 24, Day 5: Reading, Reading, Outlining, and Jury Duty.

EVEN BLOCK SCHEDULE: Go over the INTRO TO THE ATOM homework, Reading a passage to my students: A MEASURE OF HIS SUCCESS, Show students how to outline a textbook chapter.

I often read a science story to my students and have them ACTIVELY LISTEN by recording key words and definitions, facts and reactions to the story. Today's story is about Lavoisier figuring out the law of conservation of matter.

See my school website--California Teachers--Reading passages for my power point and a copy of the story.

This is a nice way to introduce that theory and to introduce balancing equations.

I have rarely have kids read their science textbooks.  They often have to to the chapter vocabulary but rarely read it.  I have decided to have them read and outline certain chapter sections. Students really went to work on it in class.  I was amazed actually.

My colleague Sean Marzolf has Jury duty.  For the next 3 weeks.  Once a week we will plan to have his substitute teacher and me switch rooms so his kids can do a lab.

I hope this helps,

Love to Teach, and Teach with Passion!

It's not Magic, It's Science!

richardkinney@cusd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment