Thursday, October 1, 2009

Week 6, Day 2: 8th graders Aweful???

I am a Middle School (Science) Teacher
By Richard Kinney

You hear me say, “I teach 8th grade”

Your reply is, “Oh…they are awful”.

Awful I hear… Are they awful?… ”Awe-Full” I think.

- Awe-full easy to show them something new and interesting-
(like the power of a Gamma Ray Star Burst)
- If you are good at setting the hook, they will pull you everywhere.

Awe-full fun to surprise & smile with-
- they have the curiosity of a small child and the developing humor of an adult.

Awe-full hard to always be patient with them…
…but sometimes it’s awful hard to be patient with the ones I LOVE at home.

Awe-full good teachers for ME TO LEARN about myself…
…sometimes the lessons are nice, and sometimes the lessons are difficult.

Awe-full. AWE can FILL their minds and they can be shown the ‘neatness’ of a topic.
(like how an unbalanced force acting on a tennis ball sitting on top of a dropped basketball can cause the tennis ball to really move)

Awe-full hard to remember what it was like to be 12 or 13 and distracted and scared and under continuous peer critique and self-doubt about your place in the “scheme” of things.

Awe-full glad I am a Middle school Teacher!


I hope this helps,

Love to Teach and Teach with Passion

Remember...It's not Magic, It's Science

http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney

richardkinney@cusd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment