Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Week 9, Day 1: Newtons laws

I made 3 labs to go with each of Newton's Laws.

Inertia: Roll cars down a ramp measuring distance rolled. Add mass to change inertia.


As an alternative to the car lab I have a set of INERTIAL BALANCES that work slick too.


F=ma: Slide 1, then stack of 2, then stack of 3 identical books across lab table measuring Newtons of force needed to pull the books. Keep acceleration the same my pulling at the same speed. Not real exciting...but accurate.




3rd law: Make a steam engine out of an aluminum can. See the steam jets action force move the can in a spinning motion (reaction force). Some of my colleagues are afraid to use Bunsen burners and do the balloon on a string action/reaction lab. THIS LAB IS HIGH BANG FOR THE BUCK.


Hope this helps,
Love to Teach and Teach with Passion
Remember...It's not Magic, It's Science
All my materials are available at my web site:


No comments:

Post a Comment