Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 30, Day 5: Heating up the lab...how cool

Even block schedule: Notes on molecule vs compounds and heat 
reactions, endo/exo-thermic lab

Busy with scoring notebooks. Hectic period 2 setting up the lab but 
triple brew Starbucks coffee gave me enough delta V to get it done.  
Fun lab.

Mixing water with CaCl2 (looks like Dip'n dots ice cream) 
yields exothermic (stupid memory clue: Xtrememly hot) and Ammonium 
Nitrate [cheaply acquired from my wife's lawn fertilizer mix]  yields 
endothermic exothermic (stupid memory clue: nICE and cool) reactions. 
We mix a teaspoon of each in 30 ml of water and record temp evry 
15seconds for 3 min, plot a graph, and answer some questions. See my 
lab sheet on my website.

I have been asked to represent 4 students at the Principals Medallion 
dinner next month. Quite an honor, normally you can have no more that 
2. Thank you Casey, Erin, Kate, and Michayla.

I hope this helps.

Love to Teach, and Teach with Passion!

It’s not Magic, It’s Science!

RichardKinney@cusd.com

http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/rey_kinney

No comments:

Post a Comment